Debt Dispute Letter (New / Different Collector)

Use this letter when you already disputed a debt but never heard from that collector, and now, a different collector is demanding payment!

Because there are millions of delinquent accounts in this country, it’s not uncommon for credit account records to get lost, destroyed, deleted or misplaced, which makes it difficult for collectors to validate a debt properly and when they cannot properly validate a debt, they often sell it to other collectors without telling you. Not telling you does NOT violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and the FDCPA does NOT require debt collectors to respond to disputes unless they intend to validate the debt or take other specified actions allowed by law.

When you find it necessary to dispute a debt again but with a different collector, use the free sample debt collection dispute and validation letter below to compose your letter to inform the new collector that you disputed the debt before and that you still consider the debt to be in dispute.

You are welcome to copy and paste any of the free sample letters displayed throughout this site. If you’d like an electronic copy of any letter, submit the FREE Request Form 

or Get all letters in one convenient package

Free Sample Letter Dispute Debt Collection with a New Collection Agency

Today’s Date

Your Name
Home Address
Phone Number

Attention: {name of creditor or collector}
Name of Agency
Agency Address

Account Number: {account or reference number}

Dear Mr. /Ms.

I am writing in response to your (letter or phone call) dated {insert date}, (copy enclosed) because I do not believe I owe what you say I owe.

Your letter (or call) is the (insert proper number) time I’ve disputed this debt.  The first dispute was on {insert date} with {insert name of collection agency} and the second was on {insert date} with {insert name of collection agency}.  Be advised that neither collection agency responded to my dispute.

Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Section 809(b): Validating Debts:

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty days described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

I respectfully request that you provide me with the following information:

  • (1) the amount of the debt;
  • (2) the name of the creditor to whom you say I owe the debt;
  • (3) Provide a verification or copy of any judgment (if applicable);
  • (4) Proof that you are licensed to collect debts in (insert name of your state)

Be advised that I am fully aware of my rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  For instance, I know that:

  • because I have disputed this debt in writing within 30 days of receipt of your dunning notice, you must obtain verification of the debt or a copy of the judgment against me and mail these items to me at your expense;
  • you cannot add interest or fees except those allowed by the original contract or state law.
  • you do not have to respond to this dispute but if you do, any attempt to collect this debt without validating it, violates the FDCPA;

Be advised that I am keeping very accurate records of all correspondence from you and your company, including recording all phone calls, and I will not hesitate to report violations of the law to my State Attorney General, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Better Business Bureau.

I have disputed this debt; therefore, until validated, you know your information concerning this debt is inaccurate. Thus, if you have already reported this debt to any credit-reporting agency (CRA) or Credit Bureau (CB) then, you must immediately inform them of my dispute with this debt. You should know that reporting information that you know to be inaccurate or, failing to report information correctly violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act § 1681s-2. Should you pursue a judgment without validating this debt, I will inform the judge and request the case be dismissed based on your failure to comply with the FDCPA.

If you do NOT own the right to collect this debt, I demand that you immediately send a copy of this dispute letter to the original creditor that you say I owe money too, so they are also aware of my dispute with this debt.


Signature just above the printed name
Your Printed Name

IMPORTANT: Always send debt collection dispute letters by “official mail – return receipt requested” and keep a copy for your records.